Tuesday 11 December 2012

Quick Chilli Bean Soup

The idea of Chilli con Carne soup came to me this week when I was googling the recipe for the most fantastic Green Chili we had in New Mexico about 10 years ago.  Recipe found, I began to mull over the idea of a vegetarian chilli soup. And today I decided to pick up a tin of pre-cooked beans and give my idea a go.  I was so pleased with my results I thought had better write it down lest I forget.

Serves 4

1 medium onion
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium carrot
1 stick celery
1 medium potato
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin mixed beans
1 vegetarian stock cube
1 tin water

Warm the oil in a saucepan.  Blitz the onion and garlic in a food processor and stir into the hot oil.  Blitz up the carrot and celery and add this to the onion and garlic, then blitz the potato and add.  Cover with a lid and sweat over a low heat for 5-10 minutes.  When softened, or starting to stick add the cumin and oregano and stir over the heat for a couple of minutes then add the tomatoes, beans, stock cube and a tin of water.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment