Tuesday 8 January 2013

Ful Medames or Beans with Olive Oil & Garlic


Watching Jamie Oliver fry beans for a Tex Mex dish I was reminded of a bean dish I had in Egypt over 20 years ago.  My then boyfriend was studying Arabic in Alexandria at the time, met me off the plane in Cairo,  and showed me the sights and tastes of Cairo for a few days.  Maybe because we were students, the filling side dish of snack Ful Medames or dried fava beans rehydrated, cooked, and served with olive oil, lemon or lime juice, garlic, cumin, parsley and even fried egg seemed to feature heavily in most of the street food we enjoyed.

Today, on Day Two of trying to watch what I eat, I cooked up 125g of pinto beans as they are more easy to come by, drizzled them with olive oil, crushed garlic, cumin, pepper and salt and enjoyed a hearty lunch of under 200 calories.

125g pinto beans (or tinned beans of choice)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
Large pinch of cumin
Small clove of garlic, crushed
Pepper or salt to taste

Soak the dried beans overnight, then cook according to instructions.  When tender, drain reserving the cooking liquid.  Roughly mash in a bowl with all the other ingredients together with a couple of spoonfuls of the cooking liquid.  Season to taste.

Instagram @sunhillmakesbakes

No comments:

Post a Comment