Thursday 17 January 2013

Soft Baps, Burger Buns or Rolls


Ha! Came across this draft post dated 17/1/13! 

-----

Where does the word 'baps' come from?  Anyway...

Last year, 4 year old Big Boy return from pre-school clasping the softest little roll I have ever tasted.  I was amazed to learn the children had made it themselves, with a little help.  I knew one of the playworkers was a baker but was surprised to learn it wasn't her, but another playworker who googled 'rolls' and stumbled across the Hairy Bikers Basic White Rolls recipe.

My bread making at that time was not very successful.  All my oven baked bread failed to rise much and had too hard a crust but this recipe was a success, and I have to say this recipe helped me turn a corner in my bread making.  So much so that I have gone from chewy tasty experiments to soft tasty loaves that I sell at my local Country Market.

After trying this basic recipe, try experimenting with wholemeal, granary, poppy seeds.  The possibilities are endless.

-----

11 years on I am now selling up to 24 loaves a week through the local Country Market and farm shop.  As well as bread rolls for my kids school/college lunches. Here is my tried and tested recipe.

Makes 8 

2 tsp quick yeast
1 tsp sugar 
250g white bread flour
250g wholemeal bread flour
300ml luke warm water
15ml olive oil
1 tsp salt

Mix the ingredients together in a mixing bowl with a fork until it comes together.  

Use a bread machine dough setting, food processor with a dough hook, or hands to knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Shape into a ball and leave in a covered bowl for 1 hour to prove.

After an hour, weigh the dough and divide into 8 equal size/weight balls.  Place in a lined high sided baking tray, covered with a large flat baking tray, and leave to prove for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 200C 10 minutes before the end of the second proving time.  Bake the rolls for 10 minutes at 200C with the flat tray cover, then turn the oven down to 180C, rotate the tray through 180°, and bake for a final 10 minutes uncovered.

Once cooled, I freeze these rolls straightaway, instructing my teens to take one out the freezer the night before school/college. Current fillings of choice are homemade burgers, home cooked ham, or halloumi.

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment