Tuesday 26 February 2013

Moreish Oatcakes

My sister in law last week was singing the praises of oatcakes, amongst other things, in her losing 1 stone.  So this morning the homemaker in me decided to give them ago with a pack of oatmeal that has been sitting in the back of my cupboard for over a year for this very purpose.

Making your own oatcakes turns out to be childs play, and I might even deploy my children next time I make some.  But this version is sadly not as calorie light as I had hoped coming in at over 100 cals per oatcake. But they feel like they are doing you good!

150g porridge oats
150g medium oatmeal
1 tbsp mixed seeds
75ml sunflower oil
150ml just boiled water
1/2 tsp salt

Simply mix and squish all the ingredients together.  Leave to stand for a couple of minutes whilst you turn the oven on to 180C, find a rolling pin, find a baking tray, line it with greaseproof paper, and find a suitable round cookie cutter (I used a small plastic jelly mould which had a useful hole in the top for poking out reluctant oatcakes).

Roll out the dough to about 5mm on another piece of greaseproof paper and cut out your cakes.  Cut close together so you have to rework the dough as little as possible as it will start to get too crumbly.  I made about 17.

Bake the oatcakes for 20 minutes, turning them over half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment