Monday 15 July 2013

Gazpacho - Chilled Spanish Tomato, Pepper & Cucumber Soup


Can't believe I haven't posted this until now.  Thought I'd quickly sit at the Mac, find the recipe and tweet it.  But now I find myself typing it out at a desk at a hot sunny window.  And for the record, when I search out this recipe next year, it is topping 30C and I've just been for a 30 minute bike ride!

My parents brought this food processor recipe for this summer soup back from the United States along with their now antiquated Kenwood Liquidiser in the early 1960’s, and it remains a firm family favourite.  I do have another recipe for Alentajan Gazpacho from Southern Portugal which I'll post when I next make it!

Serves  2

4 ripe tomatoes
1 red pepper
¼ cucumber
1 small clove of garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
¼ tsp chilli flakes
Salt & pepper

Roughly chop all ingredients.  Put all ingredients into a liquidiser, and blend until liquid.  Chilled water can be added if the soup is too thick for your taste

My mum serves the soup with small bowls of more finely chopped red pepper, cucumber, and freshly made croutons to add a little more crunch.  But I can never be bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment