Friday 30 August 2013

Blackberry & Apple Jam

After making Blackberry Whisky, the other half of my 1kg blackberry haul was made into Blackberry & Apple Jam.  I last made some a few years ago and was delighted (as not a particular jam lover) with it's strong blackberry flavour.

The recipe is from Marguerite Patten's 500 Recipe series for Jams, Pickles, & Chutneys priced 2/6 published in 1963 which I have inherited from my mum.  It is my bible for jam and chutney making because it has such a range of traditional and foraged fruits and vegetables.  This jam, however, has turned out sweeter than I remember so I might be tempted to use less next time I have enough blackberries to make it.  And it only made a meagre three jars.

1lb blackberries
1lb cooking apples, after peeling and coring
2lb sugar
1/4 pint water

In a preserving pan or large saucepan, gently cook the apple in the water.  When soft, add the blackberries and cook until the berries start to break down.  Add the sugar and bring to the boil.  Boil rapidly until set.

NB If you've never made jam before take a look at this BBC Good Food guide to making jam.  The key things are knowing how to sterilise the jars and lids properly to prevent the jam going mouldy, and knowing when the boiling hot jam has reached setting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment