Tuesday 29 September 2015

Chinese Plum Sauce - Mark 2


Had my second attempt at making Chinese Plum Sauce after a 4 year gap.  It's taken that long between decent wild plum harvests!

The first time I made up a recipe, but this time I thought I'd trust the web.  I turned up a recipe by Thane Prince, but unfortunately I didn't bother to get rice wine vinegar and used pickling vinegar instead.  The sauce is only 20 minutes old, but I do have to say it tastes more like a chutney as it has considerably more vinegar than my original recipe.  Hopefully it will all mellow out as I store it away for a couple of months.

1kg plums, any colour
500ml rice wine vinegar
300g white onions
4 large cloves of garlic
5cm ginger
125ml soy sauce
500g sugar
3 star anise
1/2tsp hot chilli flakes

Stone and halve the plums.  Add all the other ingredients (onions & garlic peeled and roughly chopped, ginger roughly chopped) to a large heavy based saucepan.  Simmer for 20 minutes until the onions are soft.  Remove the star anise and blend with a stick blender.  Return the heat and simmer until it is a loose ketchup consistency.  Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal with sterilised lids immediately.

As with most chutneys, leave for at least 2 months before using, so that the vinegar mellows.  Unopened this will keep for a few years.

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment