Tuesday 22 September 2015

Tomato Chutney

A chance discovery of some 600g punnets of tomatoes reduced to 50p a punnet in my local Co-op and I am now the proud owner of some tomato chutney for the first time ever.

My base recipe came from the BBC Good Food website.  It says use ripe tomatoes but I don't see why you couldn't use green ones if you have loads.

1kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
750g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
375g light muscovado sugar (I just used white granulated)
250g onions, chopped
250g raisins
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped (I didn't use any as I don't like it in chutney)
2 tsp salt 
½ tsp ground ginger
350ml cider vinegar (I used pickling vinegar)

Place all the ingredients into a large heavy based saucepan.  Bring to the boil and boil gently for 45-50 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the chutney has thickened.  Seal into sterilised jars.  This doesn't say how long to leave it to mature before using but most chutneys are 2-3 months to let the harshness of the vinegar mellow.
I dutifully followed the recipe and peeled and chopped the tomatoes and apples.  Next time, however, I think I'll just core the apple and place the tomatoes, apples, and onions in the food processor.

Instagram: sunhillmakesbakes 

No comments:

Post a Comment