Monday 21 November 2016

Red Onion Chutney


I spent a while trying out different onion chutneys (seemingly also known as marmalade, jam, or confit) to see which is my favourite.  Well here it is! It is from an outdoor cookery book I borrowed from the library but I forgot to take note of the name and author of the book.

1.5kg onions
1kg sugar
500ml red wine or cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp ground pepper (optional)

Peel and thinly slice the onions.  Add to a heavy bottomed pan with sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for about an hour.  Add the pepper if using.  I couldnt be bothered to grind that much pepper and only managed to add about 1 tsp.  The jam is ready when the onions are soft aand surrounded in a thicky syrupy liquid.  Stir in the salt before bottling in sterilised jars.

Use with rich red meat, pate, strong cheddar, in quiche, gravies...

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment