Saturday 29 September 2018

Sweet Chilli Jam


After a day searching for the recipe I used last year, I've had to give up and make more Sweet Chilli Jam from memory (and taking bits from different online recipes).  So I'm jotting it down here, quickly, so I can find it again next time I want it.

500g peeled, cored, & chopped cooking apples
300g mild red chilli peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped
500ml water
1kg granulated sugar

Start by preparing the apples.  Add the chopped apples to a preserving pan with the water and bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer whilst you prepare the chillis.

Add the chopped chillis and the sugar.  Once the sugar dissolves blitz the mixture with a stick blender.  Be careful with your eyes though as hot sugar with chilli will most definitely sting!  I wore a pair of safety glasses much to my children's amusement, because they were to hand.

Boil briskly for 10 minutes before testing for a set on a chilled saucer.  Boil again for 10 minutes if not set, and test again.

When set bottle in sterilised jars.  Ready immediately.  Eat with cold meats, cheese, or barbecued meats.

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment