Saturday 6 April 2019

Cream of Cauliflower Leaf Soup

Wednesday morning I walked into town to buy a little something for Dad's birthday, and found myself walking home with a crate of unwanted cauliflower leaves from the greengrocer.  As you do.

I do use cauliflower leaves like shredded cabbage in a Vegetable Dhal or Korma (substitute the meat for shredded cauliflower leaves), but with over 1kg to use I have so far made 2 large batches of Cream of Cauliflower Soup.

Makes 3l of soup - 6-8 bowls

1 large onion
1 large garlic clove, peeled and halved
500g white potatoes, roughly chopped
500g cauliflower leaf, roughly chopped
600ml milk
1200ml recently boiled water
3 stock cubes
1 tbsp olive oil

Optional flavourings: 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp curry power, 1 tsp garam masala.  I fried the onions for my second batch of soup in the oil I fried lamb kofta in, flavoured with both cumin and paprika.

Gently fry the onion in the olive oil in a large saucepan for 5 minutes.  Add the chopped potato and garlic and fry for another 5 minutes.  If adding any spices, add these now to warm and release their oil in the hot oil.

Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.  Liquidise and serve.

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

1 comment: