Wednesday 5 May 2021

Torshi Left, Egyptian Turnip & Beetroot Pickle


I was treated to Torshi Left made by an Egyptian friend's mother on my arrival in Cairo in 1991 en route to Sharm el Sheik on the Red Sea to learn to dive.  I was thrilled to find a recipe for it in Claudia Roden's Mediterranean Cookery, which I had bought after a previous visit to Egypt.

This is an quick anglicised version I have come up with 

1large white turnip or mooli
2 medium or 1 large beetroot
50ml white wine vinegar
50ml water
1 tsp salt

Peel the turnips/mooli and beetroot, and grate coarsely. Mix together with the remaining ingredients. The original recipe says cut the vegetables into large chunks and soak in vinegar brine for a week for at least a week. I can never wait that long and so came up with this quick grated method that I can tuck into straight away, although the longer it marinades the better the flavour.

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment