Saturday 8 January 2022

Fish Pie Pasta Bake


I was surprised to find there is no Fish Pie recipe on my blog, but then again it is not my kids favourite by any stretch of the imagination. Many, many, years ago it was, but then they found a few bones and went off anything with the word 'pie' in it.  I did try bribing them with a chocolate button for every bone they found, but after a particularly bony pie, and not enough chocolate buttons in the house I lost the will to make fish pie.


The kids are now teens, so I thought I'd I try again, quite simply because I love it.  But the protests were even louder than when they were smaller. So I have attempted to placate them by making it into a pasta bake.  I did offer to add some prawns, but it turns out we haven't got any...

Serves 6

500g pasta 2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
600ml whole milk
2 heaped tbsp plain flour
1 bay leaf
1 bag baby spinach leaves or 300g frozen peas 
2 packs of frozen fish pie mix, or 1 pack of fish + 1 of prawns
2 tbsp capers (optional)
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and diced
100ml white wine
75g breadcrumbs
75g mature cheddar

Put the pasta on to boil (in a pan big enough to mix the pasta and the sauce) according the packet's instructions.

Gently fry the onions in the olive oil in a large saucepan until golden brown.  

Pour in the milk and quickly whisk in the flour so it doesn't go lumpy. Heat gently stirring all the time so the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom. Once thickened, stir and wilt in the spinach, then the frozen fish, capers, garlic and bay leaf. Heat gently, adding some white wine if too thick.

Drain the pasta then return to the pan. Toss in a little olive oil then stir in the fish mix.

Tip into a large baking dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese.  Bake at 200C for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade
Twitter: leesashomemade

No comments:

Post a Comment