Thursday 21 March 2013

Pea & Mint Soup

Spring really must be just around the corner, I feel it in my bones.  Or is that just being the wrong side of 40.

My soups and bread sold well at the Country Market today, leaving me just one Granary loaf and one Pea & Mint Soup for my lunch.

I love it's vibrant green colour.  It does make you think of tender green shoots. And the taste of mint, even if dried, makes me believe that spring must be nearly here.

Serves 4

1 small baking potato, peeled and roughly chopped
250g frozen petit pois
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and halved lengthways
1 stick of celery, leaves and all, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
750ml recently boiled water
1 vegetable stock cube
1/2tsp dried mint
2 tbsp double cream (optional)

Sweat the onion, garlic, potato and celery in a saucepan for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients apart from the peas.

Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the frozen peas and bring back to the boil.  Simmer again for 5 minutes then take of the heat and liquidise.  Add the cream at this stage if using and season to taste.

Enjoy staring out of a window imagining the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment