Thursday, 18 April 2013

Tapenade or Black Olive Dip & Pasta Sauce

The bright warm weather over the last few days and begun me thinking about spring and summer food.  So whilst the kids were thrilled with hearty cauliflower macaroni cheese for tea last night, I thought I'd make Dad & I a lighter pasta dinner with a taste of the South of France.

Tapenade is a Provencal dish.  A salty tangy olive paste  to be eated with crudites or crusty french bread.  It is also a quick pasta sauce.


1 small jar or tin of pitted black olives (80g drained weight)
1 small garlic clove
2 anchovy fillets
2 tsp capers
Sprig of thyme or pinch of dried
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp brandy (optional!)
2-3 tbsp olive oil

Place all ingredients in a mini food processor and blend until smooth.  Add a little more olive oil or brine from the capers if you want a looser consistency.

Tip: if like me you buy tins of anchovies, put the remaining anchovies in the smallest sealable pot you can find (I use the jar from some anchovies bought a few years ago so I know at a glance what is in it) and cover with the oil from the tin and extra olive oil if needed.  They will keep forever like this, well almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment