Monday 29 July 2013

Hiding Vegetables - Kale Pesto Pasta Sauce

I get the impression that most kids, even fussy eaters, like pesto sauce.

I do make traditional Pesto alla Genovese at home, as well as Watercress Pesto.  But the kids still go mad for what is affectionately known as Green Cheesy Sauce.  I usually make it with perpetual spinach (chard) growing in the garden, but today I thought I'd try it with my first ever crop of kale.  Apparently this is what Italian mammas make for a quick toddler lunch.  It can also be made with ordinary spinach.

Wilt a big handful of de-stalked kale in salted water for about 5 minutes.  With a slotted spoon, transfer to a mini food processor, add a very small clove of peeled garlic, about 25g of mature cheddar or parmesan type cheese.  Blitz until smooth.  You may need to add 1-2 tsp of olive oil to achieve a smooth (unrecognisable!) consistency.

Stir through hot pasta or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment