Monday, 22 September 2014
Retro Damson Chutney
The recipe, as ever when it comes to jams and chutneys, is from Marguerite Patten's 500 Recipes - Jams Pickles Chutneys
2 pints vinegar
1.5lbs cooking apples (after peeling and coring), chopped
1lb onions, peeled and chopped
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp salt NB I found this too much so start with 1 tsp
1oz pickling spices
1. Simmer damsons in 1 pint vinegar until tender enough to remove the stones.
2. Add chopped apples, onions, ginger, pickling spices (tied in a piece of muslin), and salt
3. Continue cooking until the fruit is completely soft.
4. Add the rest of the vinegar and sugar.
5. Boil steadily until thick (NB take care it does not catch on the bottom of the pan)
6. Put into hot jars and seal down.
Leave for 6-8 weeks to mature.
Only 5 hours to go! Tweet Adapted from Delia Smith's Pot Roast of Pheasant with Shallots & Caramelised Onions. I made...
A promoted ad for the BBC Good Food website's recipe for Easy Katsu Curry Chicken has inspired me to make a slow cooker katsu curry. ...
Homemade Damson & Apple Jam on homemade bread Everyone seems to be going on about how many plums they have this year, so I was hopef...