Tuesday 23 September 2014

Rhubarb Glut Ideas

Due to popular demand I'm listing all the rhubarb recipes in my preserve making bible '500 Recipes Jams Pickles Chutneys' by Marguerite Patten.  Price 2/6 in 1964!

I quote Marguerite Patten "Rhubarb in Jam Making: The best flavoured rhubarb for jam is the second crop in the autumn.  You can use spring rhubarb, but the flavour is not so good".

Rhubarb Conserve - Definition: with "additional ingredients to give a more unusual flavour."
Rhubarb Preserve - Definition: Preserves are more 'lightly cooked to "retain pieces of the fruit"

Rhubarb Jam
Rhubarb & Apple Jam
Rhubarb & Blackcurrant Jam
Rhubarb & Ginger Jam
Rhubarb & Gooseberry Jam
Rhubarb & Dried Fig Jam
Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam

Rhubarb Chutney (a different recipe to the one I made here)

Rhubarb Marmalade - just about to make it!

Rhubarb Syrup

I'm afraid I haven't time all the recipes out now.  But as they are short and sweet, I'm sure if you ask me very nicely I can send you one or two at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment