Monday 22 August 2016

Creamy Courgette Pasta

I have returned from 3 weeks away to find 6 overgrown courgettes on my allotment.  This is the first of many recipes to tackle my 'courgette problem'.

I started off intending to make Jamie Oliver's Courgette Carbonara, but as ever had to improvise as I realised I had no bacon, ham or lardons, no cream, and no spare eggs.

Serves 4
4 medium courgettes, any colour
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
200g soft cheese
50g mature cheddar
400g dried pasta shapes

Wash, top and tail, and then grate the courgettes.  Using my overgrown courgette, I had to peel the harden skin off so my resulting sauce is a rather insipid colour.  Fry the grated courgette with the olive oil over a medium heat in a high sided saute pan until it is soft and almost transluscent, or sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions.

When the courgette is soft, add the soft cheese and melt and stir it into the courgette together with the garlic and plenty of black pepper.  Stir in the cheddar and leave on the lowest heat until the pasta is ready.

Drain the pasta, reserving about half a mug of the cooking water.  Pour the cooked pasta into the courgette sauce and stir the sauce through thoroughly, adding a little of the pasta water for a looser sauce if preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment