Monday 18 June 2018

Pesto Alla Trapanese (Sundried Tomato & Nut Pesto)

I can't believe I'd never come across this pesto living in Italy as a child, and in Southern Italy to boot. The first I heard of it was a passing comment on Radio 4 as I was driving somewhere.  I don't even remember the programme.  And it's not in my mum's 1970 edition of Elizabeth David's Italian Food.

As I had a jar of sun-dried tomatoes just past their use by date, this is what I came up with.

Serves 4/400g dried pasta

50g sundried tomatoes
40g blanched almonds (I used cashew nuts)
1 small clove of garlic
50-100ml olive oil
Pinch of salt

Place all the ingredients into a mini food processor and whizz.  Add olive oil to loosen the mixture to taste, so it can be stirred through pasta.

If you don't want to use too much oil, reserve a mug of the pasta cooking water to loosen the pesto as you mix it through the pasta.

Instagram @sunhillmakesbakes

No comments:

Post a Comment