Friday 9 February 2024

Grab & Go Salad Jar


I've seen a few salads in a jar on Instagram. It seems to be a form of decorative food prepping in my opinion, but I guess the benefit is that if you layer your ingredients in in the right order, your grab and go salad stays fresh for several days than if you refrigerated a mixed dressed salad.

I had a few ingredients that needed cooking (beetroot, kale), so thought I'd experiment with a couple of large empty pickle jars.

I mixed up enough vinaigrette for 2 people and divided this into the jars first, then added the ingredients that wouldn't go soggy or would not be any the worse from marinading in the vinaigrette. 

So, in each jar on top of the vinaigrette I added 1) a handful chopped wilted kale, 2) 1/2 a can cooked drained puy lentils, 3) 1 small peeled and diced roasted beetroot, 4) 1 thinly sliced celery stick, 5) 1 tbsp mixed seeds, 6) a serving of cooked quinoa.

The salad was a filling success, and with the principle of some pulses + wholegrain + seeds + vegetables I'm already planning a Satay dressing based salad with white beans and roasted squash instead of lentils and beetroot, and maybe swapping cucumber for celery.  And then a Greek Salad (feta in first), probably a Ratatouille/Mediterranean roasted vegetable based salad, something with a Tahini dressing...

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment