Thursday 20 October 2022

Healthy Sugar Free Cereal Bars


This healthy sugar free cereal (oat) bar recipe is from Instagram.  I've made it a couple of times, adding different 'flavours' each time.

Makes 8 bars

150g (2 small) ripe bananas
60g nut butter (peanut, or any other nut butter - I made my own hazelnut butter by just whizzing up a pack of hazelnuts)
2 tbsp maple syrup, honey or golden syrup
150g porridge oats or muesli

Flavours
- the original recipe added 40g dark chocolate chips as a topping, pressed into the bars once packed into the baking pan
- I added 40g dried cranberries to my first batch
- To my second batch I added 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp flaxseeds, and 40g cocoa nibs
- I will probably add at least 1 tbsp of seeds to future batches, plus 40g of dried fruit or dark chocolate chips
- As muesli has added nuts and fruit, there is no need to add more, although you may need to add a couple of tablespoons more of muesli to ensure the dough is less wet

In a medium sized bowl, mash the bananas together with the nut butter and syrup.  Stir in the oats, seeds, dried fruit or chocolate in well to make a stiff lumpy dough.

Pack the dough into a brownie tray linked with greaseproof paper, smoothing everything down down with the back of a spoon, including the edges 

Bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes.  Leave to cool for 5 minutes then score into bars.  Wait until room temperature before cutting fully into bars.

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade
Twitter: leesashomemade

No comments:

Post a Comment