Friday 23 August 2019

Blackberry Ice Cream


A friend on Instagram gave me her recipe for Blackcurrant Ice Cream a few years ago, and included a version with blackberries.  Last night I made my first Blackberry Ice Cream with the big fat cultivated blackberries from my allotment, but it would be just as good if not better with wild blackberries.

400g blackberries
100-200g sugar
300ml double cream

Mix the sugar and fruit together in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring from time to time, until the sugary fruit juices begin to bubble.  I used 200g sugar last night, which is very much to my kids sweet tooth but less so to mine.  I would probably use less next time.  Turn off the heat and leave to cool.

Pass the cooled stewed fruit though a sieve and stir in the double cream.  Leave to chill in the fridge.  Once cold put in an ice cream maker.  If you haven't got an ice cream maker, put in an old ice cream tub and freeze for 4-6 hours, stirring every hour. to stop it freezing as a solid block!

Works well with all soft fruit; strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries...

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment