Thursday 29 August 2019

Courgette & Pasta Soup


I don't have a courgette glut, but someone on my allotment does.  I picked up a beautiful large yellow courgette from the 'help yourself' table and attempted to sneak it into my kids' lunch.

This soup is a combination of a Courgette Soup I learnt to make as a student in Italy, and Pasta con Brodo.  I think yellow courgette have a less strong flavour than green courgettes, not that I personally think they have much taste any way until fried.  This, and the colour, meant my kids loved the soup and didn't realise until I told them that it had veg in it!  With this success under my belt, I may well try it with a green courgette soon.

1 medium courgette
1 tbsp olive oil
1 litre just boiled water
2 organic chicken or vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
100g soup pasta or macaroni
50g grated hard cheese (parmesan, cheddar)

Grate the courgette.  Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Spread the courgette over the base of the pan and leave it as long as you dare to brown. Stir every now and then to try get all the courgette a golden brown, or until it begins sticking.  Browning the courgette adds flavour, so this step is best not rushed or skipped.

Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.  Cover and turn the heat down to a simmer.  Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the pasta is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Serve with grated cheese.  I added mint & chilli to mine above, but lemon zest would work well too.

Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment